Sunday, June 5, 2011

Dots and a Doll

I can't stop making these project bags.
This time using my embroidery pattern for a friendship doll that you can find on my side bar.
After I did the initial redwork, I traced an oval with a disappearing pen and also diagonal lines going both right to left and left to right. (not inside the dolls image)
Then I quilted the lines with off-white thread.
I washed the embroidery to get the quilting to wrinkle up. 
Then to attach the quilted piece to the bag front I used red thread.
I put on the free-motion embroidery foot and went to town.
I circled the piece with two concentric ovals, each oval stitched three times.
I used a disappearing pen again to draw on the scalloping.
I then free-motioned my way around the scallops twice.
After all this stitching I just cut the excess white fabric near the scallops,
 leaving kind of a rough edge which will soften over time. 
The inside fabric is a polka-dot of course. :-)
I think that all the fabric is Moda.

1 comment:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Okay Sarah, I'm intrigued! I love this little bag but am bag/purse challenged. Is there a tutorial available for this? It looks so pretty. I'm looking for a bag to put some stuffed animals in for donation to a shelter at Christmas and (for later this summer) a bereavement camp for kids. Any guidance would be appreciated! Hugs, Mickie