Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Czech toy film strip


In going thru some stuff today I was surprised to come across a very cool toy filmstrip from the 1950's Czech Republic. (Czechoslovakia at that time) I found it in a junk store in the early spring and hadn't looked at it since. On the packaging are a few pictures from the filmstrip. The translated title is perfect--The Gingerbread Cottage. In coming up with a name for my blog I tried to think of things I loved and the cookie/candy house came to mind. I love dollhouses, cottages, and playhouses and I have always loved the Hansel and Gretel story, being scared at being left in the woods and the awfulness of the children almost being cooked in the witch's oven, in the end tricking her to get into her own oven. Of course an edible house was just a bonus, the icing on the cake, so to speak. :-)

No comments: